Monday, September 9, 2013

My Grandmother, God Bless her Soul...

...believed in the healing properties of Castor Oil.

 
She dosed me with it twice to my recollection.
 
Twice.
 
Now that probably doesn't sound like much of a big deal...
 
but the times it occurred...
 
... she didn't have indoor plumbing in her house.
 
The dose results, in part, involved hurried, stumbling trips through the dark...
 
...to the outhouse...

 
...all the while fearing spiders and monsters hiding behind the barn...
 
 facing the biggest concern of all...NOT MAKING IT IN TIME!
 
Yikes.
 
That gave me a flash back.
 
And not a good one.
 
I read now that Castor Oil is poisonous.
 
Hmmm.
 
I wonder if Grandma knew that.
 
Maybe she didn't really like me much after all.
 
According to my parents, I was the obnoxious one...
 
Perhaps Grandma thought it was caused from constipation.
 
Or...
 
Perhaps the three of them had a deal...
 
"You get rid of Jenny and I'll take you out to eat!"
 
Ha.
 
HA?
 
Hmmmm.
 
Perhaps it's a good thing Grandma is long gone from this world.
 
This is probably a question best not asked.
 
Recently, my doctor recommended I try Castor Oil to help rid myself of toxins from my oral surgery fun (anesthesia, antibiotics, steroids and narcotic pain medication).
 
AND
 
Even though we have indoor plumbing now, I was a-feared.
 
"Don't be a-feared," the doctor reassured me.   "You're not going to swallow it.  You're going to use a castor oil pack on your abdomen for 30 days."
 
(Actually, she didn't say 'a-feared' but she did say the rest.  I just like the word 'a-feared'.  It makes me feel all Hillbilly and stuff!)
 
She explained how to do it, and I've been trying it every day.
 
Alternative healing methods are fascinating and I have had a lot of good success with them in the past.  
 
I love medical ideas that don't involve pharmaceuticals. 
 
The oil packs seem to be working for me, personally.
 
Perhaps something like this could help you.
 
You can google Castor Oil packs to see if they might.
 
I'm just sharing this information...
 
Because.
 
I like you.
 
I really do.
 
And I don't think you're obnoxious at all...
 
And I don't even think you're constipated...
 
...and even if you are...
 
 I would never, ever, ever try to make you DRINK castor oil.
 
 
 
            Sigh...          
post signature

19 comments:

Jo said...

castor oil is poisonous??? i remember having that stuff forced upon me as a child ... you brought up some not so pleasant memories for me ... anyways ... nuff said about that ... have a beautiful day Jenny!!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I just saw an interesting face wash on Pinterest with caster oil and olive oil. The woman says she is never oily, no breakouts and doesn't have to use creams anymore.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Poisonous? My parents must be so disappointment I'm still alive then!
I'm trying to rid myself of a parasite and die off is killing me. Wonder if this would work?

Amy said...

So interesting that it is now found to be poisonous. Especially since that is one of those wives tales of putting a woman into labor! Interesting.
As a kid I was forced to take Cod Liver Oil. It was disgusting. I think drinking any oil of any kind is going to be gross, though.
Glad your grandmother didn't succeed in killing you off. :)
Interesting about the castor oil pack. I am going to google it to learn more, because that is fascinating.

JJ said...

Castor oil and cod liver oil were forced upon me as well. Now, I know where my problems emanate from. I am so happy to hear I am not alone. I always figured my mother thought I was the Anti-Christ!

Jeanie said...

I always thought I was the favorite, but this post has convinced me that I definitely was not.....just the one who didn't succumb to the castor oil "cure".

Janie Junebug said...

No one ever gave me castor oil, but my mother gave me Ex-Lax when I had appendicitis (not yet diagnosed). I have read that taking a laxative when one has appendicitis can be fatal. I survived out of pure meanness and selfishness.

Love,
Janie

P.S. Mother told me the Ex-Lax was a piece of a Hershey bar. I knew she was lying even though I was only six years old. I never believed her again except when she put me down, but that's another whine to tell about.

Theresa said...

I didn't know castor oil was poisonous! I learn SO much from you:) I will certainly look up the castor oil packs, 'cause I am curious like that! Hope all is well with you now Dear Jenny, HUGS!

Ms. A said...

Well, crap... something else to Google! LOL!

Pondside said...

When she was 11 days overdue with her baby, my daughter was told that on a certain day she would have to take castor oil to bring on labour. That scared her enough that she went into labour hours before the threatened dose. I guess you could say that castor oil works!

Anita said...

I had a few doses of Castor Oil myself. Nasty! I can't remember if if worked or not - maybe because I was at home with my parents and an indoor toilet and it wasn't as traumatic. :)

You've got me curious... a pack to place on you instead of in you? :)

Let us know if those toxins go away.

pasqueflower said...

I never had to drink the stuff, but I am interested in the castor oil packs.

H said...

I don't remember ever having to drink caster oil, but I definitely had cod liver oil and, weirdly, I liked how it tasted!

RNSANE said...

Jenny, you are wonderful. I remember castor oil. Frankly, instead of that, if I something for constipation, I just add a hefty shot of good olive oil to my salads ... more than usual. It seems to do just fine - for many problems.

When I was visiting a friend in Bangalore in south India my first year here, I was suffering terribly with pain in my left shoulder and arm ( got a new shoulder in Jan and it is amazing what a great operation that was ). Shiju's mom, from Kerala, India ) was very up on ayurvedic medicine. She massaged my shoulder with oil and turmeric, then did a poultice with castor leaves ( there was a huge field of castor trees across the street ). After she was done, I could lift my left arm over my head to shampoo my hair and I was virtually pain free for about three days!!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh my gosh...it is poisonous? I think I gave it one of my kids when they were little....Now that i think of it, my MOM told me to do it. Oh gosh; and it was given to the obnoxious one. :(
I'm glad this is helping you. I've heard it was good to wash your face with!!

Chatty Crone said...

Haha I know it is great to rub on sore areas of the body but not sure about drinking it! Maybe she wanted to kill the germs and keep you well! sandie

Rita said...

Okay--I didn't know castor oil was poisonous and that they was such a thing as a castor oil pack?! You are just full of information. So glad you like me and told me. ;) I am off to goggle castor oil packs.

Splendid Little Stars said...

I drank castor oil to encourage labor. not fun!
I have used castor oil packs, too, in the past. I've had several oral surgeries in the past couple years. Maybe I'll try the castor oil pack thing, too.

Pat Tillett said...

I don't think Castor oil is poisonous. It's the other parts of the seed that are.

I never had Castor Oil, BUT my granny tortured us with Cod Liver Oil instead.

If you have the time, here is a link to my granny cod liver oil post.
http://patricktillett.blogspot.com/2010/06/cod-liver-oil.html