Friday, March 8, 2013

Fashion forward?


This true little story is linked to Week 149 of Saturday Centus.   The prompt is in bold.   To read other stories using the same prompt, just click here.
 After my dad left the Air Force, we lived with my Grandmother in rural Ohio.

Grandma was a cantankerous old woman but she had gorgeous gardens and could cook up a storm on her wood-burning stove.  

In addition to these skills, she was a self-tought fashion critic that cared little for the styles of the era, especially the micro-mini skirts.

 My Grandma always told me, “You can see your ‘unseeables’ in those dresses”.

 Although Grandma might have been right, I took to carrying a seam ripper to school.
 
It made it easier to rip off the ruffles she sewed to the bottom of my dresses.
post signature

11 comments:

Anita said...

I didn't see that ending coming, Jenny. lol

Just the image, in my mind, of ruffles at the bottom of a skirt gives me a laugh. And, the fiesty grandma, too!

Pat Tillett said...

Hi Jenny! Great ending! I'm sure that there are too many parents out there to count that have NO idea that their kids are changing clothes after they leave the house. Or how many girls apply make-up on the way to school.

pasqueflower said...

Ha.Ha. Ripping off ruffles.

Susan Anderson said...

You were such a naughty girl, Jenny!

(Sometimes I look back at pictures from that time and can't believe how short we wore our skirts. They seemed just fine to me!)

=)

Annesphamily said...

Always a pleasure to see you here! Hugs Anne

Anonymous said...

A seam ripper? I would NEVER have thought of one of those. Great idea and imaginative girl! Ah, memories.

Kris said...

What a darling story Jenny and love the ending...excellent ;)

~UnSuper Mom~ said...

How clever of you!

Barb said...

Ha! That's hilarious! I used to pack different clothes in my backpack that I'd change into in the girls bathroom once I got to school. lol

Amy said...

Haha! There is always a way around that type of sentiment, isn't there? A way around Mother's or Grandma's wishes. :)

Splendid Little Stars said...

ha ha!
We used to roll up our skirts at the waist.