Sunday, October 16, 2011

Saturday Centus - I was most definitely challenged...

Week 76. Saturday Centus. A really, really hard challenge. Who thinks this stuff up anyway? (blush)

But...

This is what I came up with. I actually dreamt about this challenge last night and I suspect the stories I came up with in the middle of night might have been slightly better, but this is what I have to share.

The funny thing about this writing is it is truly diametrically opposed to how I feel about old buildings. I adore the history and texture of places exactly like this. This little offering is a true work of fiction for me!

No word prompt this week, just a photo prompt.

To see other offerings from this literary challenge, just click here.



Seriously? You want to save this eyesore? You think anyone really cares that blah-blah-blahistory happened here?

You want to save this run-down shrine to mediocre architecture?

This nasty place that gives you splinters if you even attempt to touch a porch post?

This museum for the stench of every piece of cabbage boiled inside these walls?

(shudder… slimy, green cabbage leaves cascading past my tastebuds in an explosion of putrid vegetableness.

…shudder…)

I’m just sitting here on the sidewalk waiting for the fulfilling crash of destruction.

We don’t need this eyesore. We need a parking lot.

Bring on the wrecking ball.


(exactly 100 words!)


post signature

18 comments:

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

I would always rather see something refurbished, remodeled, or brought back to life in its historical condition than torn down. Sadly a lot of money is spent taking perfectly good buildings and wiping them out to put something (even parking lots) in their place. For instance, we had a perfectly good mall that could have used a bit of paint. It was only 5 years old. They completely tore it down to build a new one. All I could think of was how that money could have been better spent. We (especially in California) end up having very few historical buildings. Where's the charm in that?

Bookie said...

Your own take here is quite different than most Centus writers. You did not see the quaintness of the old building...but you sure captured a picture of a diplapadated something worthy of getting rid of! I could smell that cabbage!

Actually, I thought this one of your easier Centus offerings! Everyone different for sure, aren't they? Have a great Sunday, Jenny.

Judie said...

Bring on the parking lots! We really need more heat reflecting off concrete here in Arizona!

Looks like a job for Property Brothers.

anitamombanita said...

oh sad. Once again, I marvel at how each of us has such a different perspective on this...no nostalgia for you, I see!!! Good job.

Dazee Dreamer said...

It is sad that all some people see is asphalt. If I had tons and tons of money I would love to take some of the old homes and refurbish them. They have such character.

Viki said...

I guess that's one way of looking at things, ha. This was pretty good. I enjoyed this perspective. Sounds just like a corporate greedy guy would think this way lol. Good job.

Susan Anderson said...

I noticed that, while you said up front that the sentiment expressed in your Centus is diametrically opposed to your own, some commenters are assuming that you share the opinions of your protagonist.

Maybe you should have put that disclaimer part of your lead-up in bold or italics.

heehee

;)

Susan Anderson said...

PS. On second thought, maybe I'd better add a disclaimer of my own. I'm JUST KIDDING here. I realize that most commenters knew exactly where you were coming from and were just discussing your character's point of view.

noexcuses said...

Great use of the senses! I love to eat cabbage, but it doesn't like me!

It breaks my heart to see usable structures taken down rather than refurbished. They did that to our baseball stadium. They could have spent half on remodelling and structural safety.

I liked it, and I also liked that you would rather preserve than destroy.

Kim Lehnhoff said...

You can do a great devil's advocate - remind me not to ask your opinion when I'm stubbornly holding onto my own!

Ms. A said...

I'm much more into saving than destroying, too. Oh, if walls could only talk!

Martha's Favorites said...

Jenny: I love hearing from you. It is like having my Mother, come over and check on me. You are the best. You sure know how to get people thinking. Love you, Martha

Ames said...

I...I...I don't know what to think about this. Humm ... isn't tearing down something that has history and replacing it with a new parking lot sorta like a husband divorcing his wife of 25 years for a newer younger wife? Humm???~ Signed a cabbage eater and lover. ♥ :)

21 Wits said...

Oh yeah Jenny, this absolutely rocks on! Great stuff....but yes I DO want to safe this piece of memory from my dear old grand-daddy oh yes I do....who needs a parking lot anyway, pretty soon we'll all be walking or riding bikes! ha ha! love it...can I give you an A++++++++++++++ and ++++++++!

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWwUJH70ubM

I got it. Poignant. And yet... how many people long for progress, not understanding what that really means? Trading cabbage smells for smog...

jfb57 said...

A museum for cabbage? Brilliant Jenny! I'm still trying to sort mine out in my head!

Sean Vessey said...

Bring on the wrecking ball, smash the pungent oder of cabage!!!

I like the spin you put on this in answering the prompt!

Nonna said...

Excellent Jenny ! You hit every sense in the challenge very well !