Sunday, August 29, 2010

Saturday Centus - The Rest of the Story

Hi Centurians! Sorry I've been gone a bit lately. Have been actually dealing with a bunch of family drama AND sending stuff off to both publishers and agents. The only agent I've heard from so far said "Oh, you definitely need to find an agent that likes "Stream of Consciousness" stuff...but this was a good read." Hmmm... Allrighty then! But I am persistent with this idea...kind of pushing a different short story I wrote and some other writing contest entries!

So anyway...enough of this idle chit chat! I heard there was a tough assignment this week and I'm all over the whole idea!

This is my post for week 17 of the Saturday Centus..."rest of the story" assignment.

And Claudia...I hope you don't mind if I horn in your Summer Vacation 1964 post for to add on to. I really liked your take on it and the second I read it I wanted to tell the flip side.

So Claudia wrote this SC for week 16:

Freshman summer was not much different for best friend Dory and me. Waking in humid Kansas air, we helped our moms freeze strawberries, can tomatoes, or make jam before tanning on blankets or straddling bikes. We bowled bikes down gravel roads, munched chocolate in the cemetery, pulled romantic novels from cool library shelves and stopped at the Rexall for nickel cokes. There we lowered kick stands, tugged our madras shorts out of cracks, smoothed pony tails, and sauntered through the smacking screen door, catching sight of sweaty guys in plaid shirts, sleeves ripped out revealing hay bale-built biceps…um, good summer!

And...

Here is my "Rest of the story" coming in at exactly 100 words.

Junior year. Oh yeah.

Too much work baling hay and slaving on the farm. I wanted a job in town working at the Rexall. My Dad said no. Pulling nickel cokes is for sissies he said. Real men work on the farm.

I didn’t want to be a real man. I wanted to wear that snazzy white soda jockey jacket.

I wanted to watch pretty girls twirl around on the shiny red stools.

Madras shorts and pony tails.

And maybe a chance to swipe a flirt with Claudia. If she wasn’t too busy giggling with that annoying best friend Dory.


To read more "Rest of the Story" links...just click here!

post signature

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

Editor and agents and new opportunities ~ OH MY! How cool is that?

Loved how you finished Claudia's story from the hunk's POV.

Gonna get that kids book off the ground? That's the one I want. Got too hard to remember from week to week so waiting for the publication.

RockiBottom said...

Love the flip side addition to this story. The annoying friend comment made me giggle.


Oh! and I have indeed read your independance day post. Thanks for sharing the link with me. Something that I can relate to for sure.

RockiBottom said...

Love the flip side addition to this story. The annoying friend comment made me giggle.


Oh! and I have indeed read your independance day post. Thanks for sharing the link with me. Something that I can relate to for sure.

LuLu Kellogg said...

I would love to be a pretty girl twirling on a red stool!

Editors agents and drama....now that sounds juicy!

LuLu♥♥♥

Busy Bee Suz said...

this is great Jenny...you are always so entertaining.
Best of luck with your writing/agents/publishers...you will go far kid!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Jenny!

I just came back from two weeks in California...it was so good to be on vacation in cooler weather for awhile, visiting my second favorite city.

I have my fingers crossed for you that you get a book contract as you are such a talented writer! Never give up the dream!

Viki said...

Great continuation of Claudia's story. Good luck with the publishers and agents.

Susan Anderson said...

Hope you can find an agent that appreciates you!

I thought this completion of Claudia's Centus felt just right. Loved it.

=)

Anonymous said...

Great twist on this one Jenny! Good luck with the publishers!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

This was great, Matlock! And a new voice! That's a compliment!

Kat said...

Loved this Jenny. Great take on the "other point of view". And I can just picture him with his cool haircut and that snazzy white jacket. I haven't thought of Rexall drugs in years. They used to have the BEST Green Rivers in town :) Good luck with the agents and publishers. I, for one, am enthralled with your particular "stream of conciousness" HUGS! Kat

Tgoette said...

A superb job in capturing the guys point of view, Jenny! Great continuation!

Tina said...

I'm late reading these...have been doing some non-Jenny memes and they have hundreds of participants, too. CONGRATS on the new outlets for your writing. And I loved this. Somehow missed part 1, but glad I got it now. Nice flip-side to her story.